Thanks very much Bill & to all of you involved.  It is very much appreciated!

Joe
SM2K 331, CloudStreet

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 11:12 AM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

February 12, 2019

To:     All existing members of the Amel Yacht Owners Group on Yahoo!

From: Bill Rouse

In 2002, “Closereach” founded the Amel Yacht Owners Group on Yahoo Groups platform with a handful of members. Our group grew in membership to the hundreds when Closereach retired from our group and turned the group’s ownership over to Jose Luis Isasi. Jose led the group to over 1000 members and in 2018 turned the ownership over to me.

In the beginning and through a number of years, the Yahoo platform worked well for most of our members. However, as technology progressed, Yahoo Groups did not, and many of the members began complaining of numerous shortcomings with the Yahoo platform. Additionally, Yahoo simply stopped supporting the groups about 2 years ago and left known bugs and problems continue to irritate all of us. Lastly, we cannot ignore the numerous rumors about Yahoo and what they may do with the Yahoo Groups, especially since they no longer support their group platform.

Groups.io is a new and different platform for groups like ours. Although they offer a “free” group platform, it is not for us because we need more features and we are larger than the small groups the free platform is intended for. Groups.io has a PREMIUM platform which is generally designed like the Yahoo platform that we are accustomed to, but Groups.io has search ability that works, and many other tools that work.

The Amel Owners Group moderators and I have been testing Groups.io for several weeks and made the decision to move the Amel Yacht Owners Group to Groups.io. Hopefully the transition will go as smooth as possible, but I am sure that there will be issues. We are moving all of our data with us. There is a minimal cost involved ($110/year), which Amel School will pay for 5 years. I believe that this will give us plenty of time to plan for the years after the first 5. For instance, the Nordhavn Group moved from Yahoo, supported by members and shortly after the move Nordhavn’s parent company agreed to pay all of the costs.

The Moderators of our Group will remain: Mark McGovern, SM CARA, Mark Erdos, SM CREAM PUFF, Danny SIMMS, SM OCEAN PEARL, and Gary Wells, SM ADAGIO

You will need to:

Use a different email address when sending an email. Use main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io

Go to the new Amel Yacht Owners website address https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/topics  and establish a log-in by clicking on “Log In” in the upper right and follow the instructions for “Forgot your password, or don't have one yet?”

I hope that you all will enjoy the new platform.

Bill Rouse

--
CW Bill Rouse
Amel School