Cleaning Santorin Diesel tank #Wiki

Herbert Lackner

Hi Amelians,

just started to cross the pacific, after three days without wind, lot of waves and using the engine the water separator and the racor filter have been full of brown water. I cleaned it several times, after an hour it was always full again. I put out maybe 2 liters of brown ugly dirty water and we decided to sail back to Costa Rica to fix that.

Up to now I never had any drop of water in the water separator, checked this once a year. We always fill up using a water-filter so it might be condensed water.
After changing and cleaning several times now (in shallow water) no dirt comes out, but there might be some more in the tank that is waiting for the next waves.

I do not know what the problem is, I assume that the water is there already since some time, but only when motoring in heavy seas (what we have not done for a long time) it was "shaked" and mixed with the clean diesel.  When we refueled in Golfito I added some Biozid, maybe this "killed" the bacteria and created the dirt...

Our Santorin has no service port for the diesel tank (for me that is a design issue...), so cleaning needs some creativity. Had anyone the same problem, how did you solve that? How to clean the tank to get all the dirt out without service port?

Did anyone add a service port?

thx, herbert, SN120, KALI MERA Costa Rica (again)