Re: Cleaning Santorin Diesel tank #Wiki

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Herbert,

been there. We fueled in the Galapagos and were in no wind after a couple of days. We motored for a few hours and the perspex bowl at the bottom of the raor was full of water. We stopped the engine and drained the water and replaced both the racor and the on engine filter. The racor had stopped all the water.There was no water in the second filter.  Started up and in short order there was water in the racor bowl again. Being mid Pacific and lacking options we drained it and carried on. Kept a careful eye on it and drained the water before the glass was full. Did this several times and eventually the water stopped. Clearly we had got water in our fuel in the Galapagos The racor let no water through and we had no further problems. Since the racor on first inspection had stopped all the water I felt confident in this approach. Important to catch it before the racor bowl was overfull.

Made it from there to NZ through all sorts of conditions with no problems. Been a fan of Racors ever since. They did the job they were there to do. I have two. One services the engine, the other the gen set.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 19 March 2019 at 10:42 Herbert Lackner <herbert@...> wrote:

Hi Amelians,

just started to cross the pacific, after three days without wind, lot of waves and using the engine the water separator and the racor filter have been full of brown water. I cleaned it several times, after an hour it was always full again. I put out maybe 2 liters of brown ugly dirty water and we decided to sail back to Costa Rica to fix that.

Up to now I never had any drop of water in the water separator, checked this once a year. We always fill up using a water-filter so it might be condensed water.
After changing and cleaning several times now (in shallow water) no dirt comes out, but there might be some more in the tank that is waiting for the next waves.

I do not know what the problem is, I assume that the water is there already since some time, but only when motoring in heavy seas (what we have not done for a long time) it was "shaked" and mixed with the clean diesel.  When we refueled in Golfito I added some Biozid, maybe this "killed" the bacteria and created the dirt...

Our Santorin has no service port for the diesel tank (for me that is a design issue...), so cleaning needs some creativity. Had anyone the same problem, how did you solve that? How to clean the tank to get all the dirt out without service port?

Did anyone add a service port?

thx, herbert, SN120, KALI MERA Costa Rica (again)