From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gary Silver via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2019 11:15 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] [Amel Yacht Owners] Genoa sheet track plugs

Mike, Eric and all:

This is coming from my background as and A & P (FAA airframe and power plant mechanic).  RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) sealants, aka silicone, comes in two basic curing regimens;  acidic curing (Acetoxy or acetic acid) and natural curing.   The acidic curing is prohibited in aircraft as it is corrosive to aluminum structures (also applicable for aluminum structures on sailboats).  Acidic curing RTV is ok on fiberglass.  When selecting any sealant (RTV or otherwise) it is best to avoid acid curing type.  Dow 737 is a natural cure RTV that I use a lot on aircraft but there are others as well. I usually have to order it online (not hard these days) as it isn't widely available in chandleries or the Home Depot type suppliers.

Gary S Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 # 335
Puerto Del Rey Marina, Puerto Rico