Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Genoa sheet cars

Mike Ondra

Hi Allan

Attached is a cross section of the rub rail showing genoa track machine screwed to mild steel backer plate that has given some rust problems to some Amelians. On Aletes, age 15 or so, turning off the eye bolt at the forward end of the track to replace the genoa car resulted in shearing off the bolt. We had to drill it out (cobalt drill bit) and re-tap the hole for a new bolt.  We also had to move the stanchion out of the way as Danny relates. Good luck!

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM#240

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2019 1:31 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] [Amel Yacht Owners] Genoa sheet cars

Hi Allan, yes that eye bolt comes out. I approached it with trepidation but it came free quite easily. Take care it doesnt wring off. This still doesnt give enough room to get the car off. I removed the screws from the staunchon base and pushed it sideways. Some others have cut the sides off the track to get it off.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 24 March 2019 at 00:20 Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:

So,in view of no comment on this issue, I assume that it is possible to remove the block at the FWD end of the genoa track to allow the car to be removed.
I can barely turn the eye bolt that goes through the axis of the the pulley block.
Could one of you at least confirm that is how it is removed...is there a nut under the gunwale, or does it screw into a steel plate ....or.....
AND what about the aft bolt on that block ....what's that connected to .... if anything ??
Thanks for advice
Cheers
Alan
Elyse Sm437

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.