Re: Long term storage options in southern Caribbean

Giorgio Ardrizzi

James, it is true that there have been some episodes of attacks in past years, but lately the situation is calm. The Coast Guard of Trinidad controls the coasts and in any case they were Venezuelan fishermen with small motor boats. Their attacks were no more than 10 miles from the coast.
However, to avoid problems, I left Grenada ten days ago and took a route that took me 10 miles east of Boca del Dragon, arriving at first light in the morning. Except for a few ships, I didn't see anyone, not even fishermen. In the following days many boats arrived and many more will be arriving from Virgin Islands next month.
By now the pirates issue has become an exaggerated urban legend, fueled also by the various Marina of the islands who are interested in retaining their boats from them.
I don't particularly like Trinidad, but I consider Chaguaramas Bay a very well organized place to leave my boat safe for 8 months from theft, various accidents and hurricanes at a reasonable price.

Il Sab 23 Mar 2019, 22:56 James Cromie via Groups.Io <jamescromie=yahoo.com@groups.io> ha scritto:
Giorgio - Thank you so much for the info!  I will definitely contact Daniella.  I have heard that there is some concern of piracy / theft when sailing between Trinidad and Grenada or near the Venezuela coast in that region. I believe that air and sea travel has been suspended on the border of Trinidad and Venezuela based on the UK.gov website..

-James
On Mar 23, 2019, at 5:11 PM, Giorgio Ardrizzi <giorgio.ardrizzi@...> wrote:

Hi James, I left for the second year my Amel Sharki from Peake Shipyard in Chaguaramas Bay Trinidad.
The shipyard works like a Swiss watch and all the staff is very helpful.
The prices compared to the various marinas on the islands are much lower and the service it's great.
They have a shipchandler inside and various technicians capable of performing any kind of work.
In addition, Trinidad is practically at the lower end of the hurricane belt and is an event that occurred 3 or 4 times in a century.
In this moment there are 4 Amel in the yard.
Write an email to Daniella, the person responsible for the reservations and get a quote for your boat.
The address is: reservations@...

If you want more info I am at your disposal.
Good luck.
Giorgio Ardrizzi
Saudade III - Sharki #1

Il Sab 23 Mar 2019, 21:19 James Cromie via Groups.Io <jamescromie=yahoo.com@groups.io> ha scritto:
I'd like to ask the forum for recommendations on safe and affordable locations for storing our boat for 3 - 4 months.
Martinique is a great option, but there are perhaps better locations for getting work manual labor type jobs done at more affordable rates.
Grenada seems to be historically a popular place, but I wonder about the current situation with more instability in nearby Venezuela.

Any advice or recommendations is greatly appreciated!

Best,
James Cromie
SV Soteria #347
Culebra