Re: Navionics chart plotter chips --Discontinued??

Ryan Meador

I'm not terribly surprised by this news -- CompactFlash is an ancient standard introduced in 90s.  SD has taken over most of the market.  Chart plotters that are old enough to use CF and owned by people who actually keep their charts up to date are probably a minuscule part of the market at this point.  I'm guessing you're one of those unlucky few who are no longer economically viable to support.  I assume you don't want to replace your chart plotter? :D

Do you have to buy physical chart cards at all?  Can you just keep updating the ones you have through your computer, so it doesn't matter that they won't sell you a new one?  I update mine every month or so, and only had to purchase the original (SD) card the very first time I bought the chart.

If you must get a new card for some reason, there are SD to CompactFlash adapters available (some are on Amazon), which might allow you to use an SD card version of the charts in your plotter.  I have no idea if the SD card format is exactly the same, so who knows if it will work.

Have you tried contacting Navionics for their recommendation on how to proceed?

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Lynyard Cay, Abacos

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 10:53 PM eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

I heard from a friend that Navionics is discontinuing the compact flash cards for many chart plotters.

Have anyone heard this?

If so what can be done to upgrade the chart chips or get new ones?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376