Re: Removing the original Vetus Coupler on SM

Dan Wilcox

Unfortunately yes... The rubber bushings were so far gone it started to warp the 4 bolt holes in the aluminium hosing.  The 4 studs also showed cracks by 2 of the studs.  So this was long overdue.

As a side note I'm also replacing all the engine mounts for the engine rail.  When I took the first one off it was reduced to rubber powder inside.  So many project to get this beauty back into prime condition.

Thanks, Dan
Feierabend SM #86

On Monday, March 25, 2019, 3:15:37 PM PDT, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi Dan.

are you sure the outer housing is beyond redemption?. Ie is the internal shape seriously compromised. External rust is not a reason to replace. It is seriously difficult to remove from the input shaft of the C drive. There are rubber bushes in the unit on a cross that need replacing periodically, preferably before you get metal to meal contact.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 26 March 2019 at 09:29 "Dan Wilcox via Groups.Io" <dwilcox123@...> wrote:

Hoping someone can provide some wisdom for removing what I believe to be the original vetus coupler.  Unfortunately is has gone past its prime and a new one is needed.  That said we have used a wheel puller to remove it, but with no luck.  Before I try a torch or just cutting it off I wanted to get a read from the group.

Thanks, Dan
Feierabend SM #86