Re: Removing the original Vetus Coupler on SM

John Clark

Ahh finally saw the picture.  I misunderstood and thought the poster was asking about the coupling boot under the C-drive....got it now.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 7:35 PM John Clark via Groups.Io <john.biohead=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just want to jump in maybe in ignorance but motivated by caution.  Mention of cutting and torches raises an alarm bell with me.

I have SM37 with a steel cdrive.  A friend has a close hull number with the aluminum drive. It was easy to remove.  Done in Martinique by Amel and subcontractor.  Are you saying you have the aluminum drive and the mounting bolts are loose in their holes?

I think I have a near original vetus coupling (I think the original owner had the aluminum drive replaced with steel when Amel offered a free replacement in the early years.) The coupling looks aged but does not leak or allow any significant movement of the c drive underway.

I would suggest asking for Amel technical assistance, or Olivier Beaute, or Bill Rouse...before taking aggressive action.

John
SV Annie SM 37
Brunswick GA.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019, 6:36 PM Dan Wilcox via Groups.Io <dwilcox123=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Unfortunately yes... The rubber bushings were so far gone it started to warp the 4 bolt holes in the aluminium hosing.  The 4 studs also showed cracks by 2 of the studs.  So this was long overdue.

As a side note I'm also replacing all the engine mounts for the engine rail.  When I took the first one off it was reduced to rubber powder inside.  So many project to get this beauty back into prime condition.

Thanks, Dan
Feierabend SM #86

On Monday, March 25, 2019, 3:15:37 PM PDT, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi Dan.

are you sure the outer housing is beyond redemption?. Ie is the internal shape seriously compromised. External rust is not a reason to replace. It is seriously difficult to remove from the input shaft of the C drive. There are rubber bushes in the unit on a cross that need replacing periodically, preferably before you get metal to meal contact.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 26 March 2019 at 09:29 "Dan Wilcox via Groups.Io" <dwilcox123=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hoping someone can provide some wisdom for removing what I believe to be the original vetus coupler.  Unfortunately is has gone past its prime and a new one is needed.  That said we have used a wheel puller to remove it, but with no luck.  Before I try a torch or just cutting it off I wanted to get a read from the group.

Thanks, Dan
Feierabend SM #86