Re: Long term storage options in southern Caribbean

Giorgio Ardrizzi

My Sharki stayed for 6 months at Peake and when I came back, in a work day I cleaned all the deck. By my choice I wanted the yacht to be placed near the trees to have a little more shade in the morning and this resulted in many dead leaves and dirt on the deck.
I didn't want any dehumidifier or air conditioner and nobody to open the boat. Nothing serious has happened.
After 2 years in Brazil, especially in the area of ​​Parati and Angra dos Reis, I saw what real humidity is!
Giorgio Ardrizzi
Saudade III - Sharki #1

Il Mer 27 Mar 2019, 17:57 islandpearl2_sm2k332 <colin.d.streeter@...> ha scritto:
Hi Dan

I would be most interested in your current assessment of Curacao Marine in terms of taking care of an Amel SM during haul out and storage compared to your experience at Peake.

We have just had a quote from Peake, and will be writing to Curacao Marine today for a quotation as well to compare prices.

What we are now more interested in is how well they both take care of the boat, as well as return flight costs to the UK from both locations before a final decision.

Thanks in advance
Colin & Lauren Streeter
SV Island Pearl II, SM#332
Pinny Beach, Nevis

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 10:42 PM Dan Carlson <carlsdan61@...> wrote:
James, we also stored our SM#387 at Peake Yacht Services from June 2017-Nov 2018.  We were pleased with the yard and the services.  We did not have much work done, but would go back again. We hauled out at Cuacao Marine this past year to position our boat for this current season in the western Carribean.

Would be happy to answer any more questions.

Regards, Dan and Lori Carlson on sv BeBe, SM #387

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019, 4:56 PM James Cromie via Groups.Io <jamescromie=yahoo.com@groups.io wrote:
Giorgio - Thank you so much for the info!  I will definitely contact Daniella.  I have heard that there is some concern of piracy / theft when sailing between Trinidad and Grenada or near the Venezuela coast in that region. I believe that air and sea travel has been suspended on the border of Trinidad and Venezuela based on the UK.gov website..

-James
On Mar 23, 2019, at 5:11 PM, Giorgio Ardrizzi <giorgio.ardrizzi@...> wrote:

Hi James, I left for the second year my Amel Sharki from Peake Shipyard in Chaguaramas Bay Trinidad.
The shipyard works like a Swiss watch and all the staff is very helpful.
The prices compared to the various marinas on the islands are much lower and the service it's great.
They have a shipchandler inside and various technicians capable of performing any kind of work.
In addition, Trinidad is practically at the lower end of the hurricane belt and is an event that occurred 3 or 4 times in a century.
In this moment there are 4 Amel in the yard.
Write an email to Daniella, the person responsible for the reservations and get a quote for your boat.
The address is: reservations@...

If you want more info I am at your disposal.
Good luck.
Giorgio Ardrizzi
Saudade III - Sharki #1

Il Sab 23 Mar 2019, 21:19 James Cromie via Groups.Io <jamescromie=yahoo.com@groups.io> ha scritto:
I'd like to ask the forum for recommendations on safe and affordable locations for storing our boat for 3 - 4 months.
Martinique is a great option, but there are perhaps better locations for getting work manual labor type jobs done at more affordable rates.
Grenada seems to be historically a popular place, but I wonder about the current situation with more instability in nearby Venezuela.

Any advice or recommendations is greatly appreciated!

Best,
James Cromie
SV Soteria #347
Culebra