Re: Pump running

Beaute Olivier

Hello Pat,

according to your hull number, you should have a foot pump in the galley as a back-up.
In order to use it, you need to move a three way valve under the galley sink. It happens sometimes that this valve moves or is moved unwillingly if you hit it. What happens then is that an internal leak is created, but you don't see it as the water from the electric pump (and the pressurized circuit) is returning through the foot pump into the tank. This what I call a "ghost leak".

Check the valve under the galley sink...

Olivier

On Monday, April 1, 2019, 3:05:00 PM GMT+2, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Pat,

You didn't say which pump you have. If you have the Amel original pump, I can send more information.

Yes, all marine freshwater systems have a one-way valve, which allows the system to hold pressure. Sometimes this valve will fail, and more often it will get a piece of debris lodged in it.

Which pump do you have? Picture?

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019, 7:36 AM Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
For over a month my water pump comes on for a second,every 15 minutes or so. I have not been able to find any leaks. I just thought of one possibility, a leak in a valve for flushing the membranes ,which is impossible to determine as the outlet is at the waterline. A second possible cause I was think of is the water pump,and this is my question.Can a water pump have an internal leak allowing water to flow back to the tank,thus reducing the pressure and kicking on the pump?
Thanks,
Pat
SM#123
Christmas Cove,USVI