Re: Anchor Chain - Amel Mango

karkauai

If you end-for-end your chain, be sure to let it all out for inspection every couple of months.  A year after I did it, I had a solid ball of rusted chain in my locker that took a pneumatic chisel and 40 man-hours to remove.  When the used end of mine starts to get rusty, I’ll have the whole thing regalvanized and then turn it around to use the other end for a while.

Kent (Rusty)
Kristy
SM 243

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Mar 25, 2019, at 10:31 PM, Dan Carlson <carlsdan61@...> wrote:

Alan, that sounds like good performance from your anchor chain.  We just purchased the same this past November.

Can you give me an idea of how much you use your anchor each year and where you are located to help me with my expectations.

We are in the Caribbean, living on our boat for about 7 months a season, spending about 70% of the time on anchor and moving anchorage about 20 times per season (about once per week).

Thanks and regards, Dan and Lori Carlson on SM#387, sv BeBe

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019, 6:47 AM Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@... wrote:
We replaced ours in 2014 with 100m of Maggi Aqua G4 10mm.
We end for ended it last year and it is performing very well.
The most important issue is to ensure the chain link size fits the gypsy on your windlass.
Our Lofrans Tigres was ISO 10mm

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437