Re: Vetus Coupling - When to Service and Replace Rubber Donuts - Warning

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Bill,

I have in the past shared my story of having this situation in Tonga some years ago. Without going into those details I would comment that unlike the situation if one was changing engine mounts, the bush replacement gave no realignment issues. I removed the 4 bolts securing the motor to the angle iron frames and slid the motor aft to facilitate the replacement process. Then it was just a matter of sliding it back and replacing the bolts into the frames. No realignment needed. Likewise I have replaced the gearbox. Again no realignment needed as this had not changed. Just slide the motor along the frames and slide it back again. Years and many motoring hours trouble free since. The beauty of the Amel engine mount system.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 05 April 2019 at 04:38 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

All,

A client of mine recently replaced the Rubber Bushings inside his Vetus Coupling. His SM Yanmar had 4500 hours and zero vibration. Please look at the Rubber Bushings which were removed. It is estimated that within a few hundred hours, there would have been serious problems.
image.png

I recommend that you seriously plan on replacing these rubber bushings (Vetus K018 Bushing Kit) beginning at 3500 hours. Be careful because this job really requires some experience in realigning the engine/transmission/C-Drive. If you are in the Caribbean I recommend Didier at La Marina du Marin. Contact: Didier Lohezic <vaguesca"at" gmail.com> Mobile +596696815722. If you do not use Didier, I recommend that you source the Amel alignment coupling blank seen here:
image.png
You will likely replace the 4 bolts and nuts with:
  • 4 each 10mm diameter, 9cm long threaded studs
  • 8  nylon-insert lock nut
  • Specify for the studs and nuts: Hardened Steel (Grade 8 in the US and normally black in color).

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550