From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2019 11:39 AM
To: AmelYachtOwners@groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Vetus Coupling - When to Service and Replace Rubber Donuts - Warning

All,

A client of mine recently replaced the Rubber Bushings inside his Vetus Coupling. His SM Yanmar had 4500 hours and zero vibration. Please look at the Rubber Bushings which were removed. It is estimated that within a few hundred hours, there would have been serious problems.

image.png

I recommend that you seriously plan on replacing these rubber bushings (Vetus K018 Bushing Kit) beginning at 3500 hours. Be careful because this job really requires some experience in realigning the engine/transmission/C-Drive. If you are in the Caribbean I recommend Didier at La Marina du Marin. Contact: Didier Lohezic <vaguesca"at"gmail.com> Mobile +596696815722. If you do not use Didier, I recommend that you source the Amel alignment coupling blank seen here:

image.png

You will likely replace the 4 bolts and nuts with:

  • 4 each 10mm diameter, 9cm long threaded studs
  • 8  nylon-insert lock nut
  • Specify for the studs and nuts: Hardened Steel (Grade 8 in the US and normally black in color).

Best,

Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St.

Galveston, Texas 77550