Re: Vetus Coupling - When to Service and Replace Rubber Donuts - Warning

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Bill,

We are in agreement that if the engine mounts are changed alignment is needed.  In my case the bushes had worn through and the bolts holding the coupling together were loose and one was broken and yet no vibration. I had no alignment issues. We were in Tonga at the end of our Pacific crossing. Lucky it lasted.

Moving on. It is impossible to remove the bolts without getting the coupling off the c drive. Getting that off, as has been attested by many, is near impossible.After trying hard to get it off I opted for the simple and effective solution. I cut the heads off and replaced the bolts with nuts at both ends. I lost the locating system on the heads of the bolts but I used nyloc nuts and I have had no issue with the bolts loosening any more than the original. However it is important to regularly check these coupling bolts. Needs to be part of the regular engine room check.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 05 April 2019 at 08:21 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Danny,

Your situation was rarer than you think.

A significant amount of owners don't change the Vetus coupling bushings until after the failed bushings has caused the running engine has shaken everything out of alignment.

And, most owners need to change the the motor mounts at the same time.

Thus, the Amel alignment coupling blank.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 1:58 PM eric freedman < kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

I made that coupling alignment tool. If you would like the drawing of it I will be happy to send it to you .

There is also a trick to remove the coupling as it is the exact same diameter as the input shaft of the C drive.

Fair Winds

Eric