Re: genoa furler screws working loose

eric freedman

542 is available from McMaster Carr on the internet. It is an amazing source.

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ryan Meador
Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2019 10:56 PM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] genoa furler screws working loose

Hi Eric,

I'll see if I can get my hands on some Loctite 542.  I've never delved into their products beyond Blue and Red, and I don't think I want to use Red.

The screws are flat heads (countersunk).  The ones provided by Amel, which were lost overboard, were Allen drive, and our new ones are Phillips drive, but they're all the same head style.

Thanks,

Ryan and Kelly

SM 233 Iteration

Charleston, SC, USA

On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 4:19 PM eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Ryan,

I like Locktite 542 or if you can’t find it try the regular red Locktite. However it is difficult to remove the red Locktite.

The threads must be absolutely clean , I would clean the machine screws with lacquer thinner and also the internal threads. Did they use machine screws or allen head cap screws?

With respect to the prop shaft. There should be NO side to side movement of the shaft. Possibly he was speaking about the prop blades.

If they wobble you need to overhaul the prop, if it is an autoprop.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ryan Meador
Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2019 2:08 PM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] genoa furler screws working loose

Hello again,

When we were in Le Marin, we had a bunch of work done on our genoa furler -- Amel rebuilt the gearbox, Caraibe Greement replaced the forestay, etc.  One of the things Amel did (unasked) was they drilled out the rivets connecting the gearbox to the furler extrusion and replaced them with machine screws.  Three times now we've had these screws fall out while under sail.  I emailed Alban at Amel Caraibe and he suggested using LocTite.  I've tried blue LocTite on them to no avail.  I'm considering installing a hose clamp around the outside so they physically cannot back out.  Has anyone else faced this issue and come up with a solution?

Thanks,

Ryan and Kelly

SM 233 Iteration

Charleston, SC, USA

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.