Re: propeller/engine vibration

eric freedman

You Know the harbor. Please give me a shout if you come by.

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kelly Ran
Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2019 11:36 PM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] propeller/engine vibration

Hi Eric,

We have used McMaster in the past. Thanks for the tip! 

We will dig around more before doing anything drastic. 

Headed back to Boston, maybe we will see you in Huntington? 

kelly + ryan

SM233 Iteration

Charleston 

On Sun, Apr 7, 2019, 23:27 eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Ryan,

Did you look up McMaster Carr? Do you use them.

I would first speak to Olivier before doing an in water boltectomy. I doubt that the bolt and sleeve are damaged. Are you headed back to Boston?

Fair Winds

Eric

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ryan Meador
Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2019 11:23 PM

Thanks Eric, I appreciate your thoughts.  We're currently in Charleston, SC and tomorrow we're sailing to Southport, NC.

In looking at the diagram Bill posted, I'm wondering if the bushing has gone bad.  I'm already putting together an order from Amel, maybe I'll see if they have replacements.  Does anyone know the size of the bolt itself, so we can have a spare on hand before we go removing the existing one?

Thanks,

Ryan and Kelly

SM 233 Iteration

Charleston, SC, USA

On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 11:08 PM eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Ryan,

Yes that is the bolt I was speaking about . I never knew what that black stuff was for a number of years and when I did  I immediately dug the silicone out and the bolt was surprisingly loose. It looked exactly like yours. If you get to warm water you could dig the silicone out. Remove the bolt grease it and put it back with grease. Then crank it down tight.

I would ask Olivier, however I feel you could sail without silicone for a while.

Where are you?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ryan Meador
Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2019 10:45 PM

Thank you all for the info.  I should have mentioned in my original post that we have a fixed propeller (I think its the original spare).  I'm a bit concerned about this domed mastic thing... depending on how you define "domed", it may have been in such a state when we last hauled out.  I've attached a photo.  What do you think?  We're no longer in the tropics, so it's too cold and too murky to go down and look at it now.

What purpose does the mastic serve?  Would it be harmful to remove it in the water and not replace it?  Presumably the rest of the bolt is exposed to seawater, so I don't see why the head needs special protection.

Thanks,

Ryan and Kelly

SM 233 Iteration

Charleston, SC, USA

On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 12:07 PM Giovanni TESTA <giovannitesta53@...> wrote:

Many thanks Bill & Eric.
For now no problem, but it is better to know in advance how it is fixed.
Do you know if it is possible to test it strongly moving it somehow, at the foot bottom.
Giovanni

Il 07/04/2019 17:17, CW Bill Rouse ha scritto:

Giovanni,

Check these photos out: https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/album?id=84454

--

Best,

Bill Rouse
Yacht School  
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.