Re: Running the engine at high rpms and the Amel drive

Teun BAAS

Joerg,

FWIW - I have an A54 with a new VOLVO D3 H engine installed last year.

The Australian VOLVO mechanic installing the engine told me that it was no longer necessary to run the engine @ top RPM’s to burn out the “soot’ as this was a “common rail” engine.

I also usually run the engine between 1250 to 1450 rpms; he suggested, from time to time, to vary rpms increasing to 1900 rpms or so for approx. 20 minutes. I don’t like the increased noise & vibrations compared to the 1250/1400 but apparently this is normal. I have now about 160hrs on this engine – to early to tell any wear & tear.

During sea-trials we were able to get up to 2780 rpms (which resulted in 9.4 knts) but I cannot foresee running this engine at those rpms.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT

ILE des PINS – NEW CALEDONIA

April 9, 2019 13:12:51