Re: Running the engine at high rpms and the Amel drive

Teun BAAS

Joerg,

FWIW - I have an A54 with a new VOLVO D3 H engine installed last year.

The Australian VOLVO mechanic installing the engine told me that it was no longer necessary to run the engine @ top RPM’s to burn out the “soot’ as this was a “common rail” engine.

I also usually run the engine between 1250 to 1450 rpms; he suggested, from time to time, to vary rpms increasing to 1900 rpms or so for approx. 20 minutes. I don’t like the increased noise & vibrations compared to the 1250/1400 but apparently this is normal. I have now about 160hrs on this engine – to early to tell any wear & tear.

During sea-trials we were able to get up to 2780 rpms (which resulted in 9.4 knts) but I cannot foresee running this engine at those rpms.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT

ILE des PINS – NEW CALEDONIA

April 9, 2019 13:12:51

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joerg Esdorn via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, April 9, 2019 00:19
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Running the engine at high rpms and the Amel drive

When I bought my A55 four years ago, I received the standard advice that it's good for a diesel to be run at full throttle once a day for something like 3 minutes.  I've followed that advice when I've remembered it and at full rpms (2400), the vibrations are pretty strong.  I've now completed the first service of my Amel drive (after 750 hours) and the bushing had 3 pretty deep groves from the seal rings.  I'm wondering whether those groves have something to do with the vibrations from running the engine at high rpms once a day.  Thoughts?  Do others follow the practice of running the engine at high rpms once a day?  I usually run at 1350 - 1500 rpms depending on conditions.  

Joerg Esdorn
A55 Kincsem
Currently at Marina di Ragusa, Sicily

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.