Re: Main Furler and outhaul Gearbox coating

Stephen Davis

Hi Steve,

I suspect some previous owner coated the gearboxes in something, as they do not come from either the manufacturer or Amel that way. When I purchased new gear boxes from bonfiglioli, they came unpainted, and I painted them white.

Pulling the mast and painting is on my list for when we finally arrive in NZ, and I’d be curious to hear how your project has gone, and any problems you encountered along the way.

Regards,

Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
Ko Olina, Hawaii

Steve Davis
S/V Aloha

On Apr 9, 2019, at 2:00 AM, Capt. Steve Bode <whatsup@...> wrote:

Dear Friends,
I am rebuilding both of my main mast furlers (Main and outhaul). I'm repainting the mast and boom, so I've removed these units, stripped them down and sandblasted them. So, what's the deal with the heavy, rubber-like coasting that was on the gearboxes of these units. I'm perplexed. Heat, protection, what? Anyone know what the material was and should I replace that material or just repaint them?

Kind Regards,
-Bode

Steve Bode, Captain of Sailing Vessel Intention
Currently Drydocked at ANT Yat Servis
Bodrum Marina Teknik Servisler
Neyzen Tevfik Cad. No. 5
48400 Bodrum, Mulga, Turkiye