Re: Fuel Polishing

Colin - ex SV Island Pearl

Since we are now 50% through a circumnavigation we have been very happy to have a fuel polishing system on board when some other yachts travelling through Indonesia with us experienced fuel problems.

The fuel there was often very dirty with all sorts of muck in it including match sticks, bits of plastic etc.

Other than Indonesia we have rarely had bad fuel but in any event NEVER put fuel straight into our tanks without either going through the Baja or Fuel Polisher.

More important than pending a lot on a comprehensive fuel polishing unit is to have a good transportable fuel filter (e.g. Baja or West Marine type), as well as installing dual Racor fuel filters with quick change over valve.

Our polishing unit has a Y valve so we also use it to suck fuel out of jerry cans directly to the tank. In this way we can immediately reject fuel if supplied with water in it, but in particular, this provides a zero fuel spillage transfer system whilst at sea which we like.

Colin & Lauren Streeter
SV Island Pearl II, AM #332
Amel Rally, Martinique

On Tue, 9 Apr. 2019, 15:18 CW Bill Rouse, <brouse@...> wrote:
35,000 miles and around the world I only had to throw the valve on the double Racor once, and never lost power.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019, 2:30 PM ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...> <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:
Hello,

 Can I encourage you to identify yourself, the name and number of your Amel and where it is ? Its just makes it easier for anyone else to respond.

 I do wonder about the necessity of fuel polishing. We have twin Racors before the engine fuel filter itself and only once in almost 30 years of owning three Amels have we had a problem with dirty fuel, a problem quickly fixed by switching from one Racor filter to the other. This is despite 8 years in third world countries with few leisure marine facilities

 What is rarely mentioned is that diesel engines recycle back to the fuel tank more litres every hour than they consume. With the D2-75  I'm told that that can be as much as 75%. The effect of this is that you automatically have a fuel polishing system in place.

I should be interested to hear of other experiences.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 Lavrion, Greece