Improvements on Servicing the Amel Drive

Joerg Esdorn

I just completed servicing the Amel drive on my A55 for the first time.  It was a difficult experience.  Trying to get the bushing out was very hard and the official Amel instructions didn't provide much help.  A chisel or screwdriver to get the bushing out wasn't all that helpful!  I now found out that I had tools on board that would have made the job much easier.  Look at the picture below.  The bushing has three threaded holes which fit three long bolts that came with the boat and that attach to the Autoprop extractor.  So after taking off the prop with the extractor you screw the three bolts into the bushing and thread them through the extractor.  Then, you keep turning the big bolt on the extractor and the bushing should come out.  The blue plastic part in the picture is designed to fit over the shaft and protect the shaft from being damaged in the process.  The three long bolts came with my boat, so did the blue plastic part.  I wish they had come with instructions on what they were for ....  But hopefully, this post will help other Amelians to deal with their drive!

Joerg Esdorn
A55 Kincsem
Currently in Marina di Ragusa, Sicily