From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of ianjudyjenkins@...
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 4:46 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Fuel Polishing

Hi Eric ,

You’re right . When we bought Pen Azen we had Amel fit a big truck filter in line with the diesel intake . In the starboard cockpit locker we have a cock in the diesel hose which allows us to fill the tank either directly ( if we are confident of the fuel quality ) or divert the fuel through the big filter , propelled by an electric pump , and then into the tank .

Back in EU waters we rarely use the big filter but it was very useful elsewhere.

Ian and Judy , Pen Azen , SM 302, Lavrion

On 10 Apr 2019, at 00:19, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Ian and Judy,

You forgot to mention your pre-fill filtering system. Thank you so much for that idea. I think I have about 86,000 miles on Kimberlite and never had a problem.

Fair Winds,

Eric

Sm 376 Kimberlite

On Tue, Apr 09, 2019 at 03:18 PM, CW Bill Rouse wrote:

35,000 miles and around the world I only had to throw the valve on the double Racor once, and never lost power.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019, 2:30 PM ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...> <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:

Hello,

 Can I encourage you to identify yourself, the name and number of your Amel and where it is ? Its just makes it easier for anyone else to respond.

 I do wonder about the necessity of fuel polishing. We have twin Racors before the engine fuel filter itself and only once in almost 30 years of owning three Amels have we had a problem with dirty fuel, a problem quickly fixed by switching from one Racor filter to the other. This is despite 8 years in third world countries with few leisure marine facilities

 What is rarely mentioned is that diesel engines recycle back to the fuel tank more litres every hour than they consume. With the D2-75  I'm told that that can be as much as 75%. The effect of this is that you automatically have a fuel polishing system in place.

I should be interested to hear of other experiences.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 Lavrion, Greece