Re: Dominican Republic

Rainer Huthmacher

Hi Duane,
I had a very good time in La Bahia de Luperon in 2014. Officials were coming aboard but they were very friendly and professional. Compared to the rest of the Caribbean it’s rather cheap and you can buy fresh veggies which are locally grown and not imported from the US.
Also a good place to get Trojan Batteries at a very low price.
For me the DomRep was one of the best places in the Caribbean, but I do speak Spanish....
Fair winds
Rainer Huthmacher

On 10. Apr 2019, at 18:38, Duane Siegfri via Groups.Io <carlylelk@...> wrote:

My apologies if this sort of post is too off-topic.

We're preparing to leave the Bahamas for the Dominican Republic.  They have some pretty restrictive allowances for "boat stores" which we exceed by magnitudes (especially the wine and beer!).  The guide books note that they will "inspect" your vessel.  These are the same guide books that advise you to stock up.

Can anyone advise me on what to expect from Customs in the DR?  I'm thinking of just sailing past it to Puerto Rico, but that's a longer sail than I prefer.

Thanks,
Duane
Wanderer, SM#477