Re: Fuel polishing

ngtnewington Newington

Hi Kent,
It looks like the general consensus is that the Racor system fitted is good and that I am indeed seeing gremlins that do not exist.
Like you pvc pipe idea. Will do that.
I am launching in two weeks.
Nick
Amelia 54-019 La Palma

On 12 Apr 2019, at 02:14, karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Nick,
Whenever Kristy has been sitting for a while, I put a 6 foot 1/2 inch PVC pipe down to the bottom of the tank and pump a gallon into a clear container. I let it sit for an hour or so, and if there’s any water or sludge, it will sink to the bottom and be clearly visible.
I use BioborJr every time I buy fuel.
So far after an initial professional cleaning 10 years ago, I’ve had only clear fuel. I didn’t change the Racors for the first 4 years and never had any water or sludge in them. Since then I change them once a year and they always look new.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
karkauai@...
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Apr 10, 2019, at 2:46 AM, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Erik,
I am not on the boat now. From memory the fuel exits the bottom of the tank directly to the Racors but There is no valve on a lower sump.
I could drain off the Racor filter very easily. I suspect though that the pick up is just off the bottom of the tank. So the sludge will remain between the fuel pick up and the very bottom of the tank.
There may not be any sludge. Maybe I am seeing gremlins where there are none!
Nick
Amelia AML 54 -019 La Palma
On 10 Apr 2019, at 07:08, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Nick,
On Kimberlite the tank drains from the bottom. Is it different on the 54?
Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376