Re: Dominican Republic

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Back in Feb 2016, I sailed from Turks & Caicos and also stayed in the Puerto Bahia Marina in Samana Bay.
I had no problem.
I read that there is a government law that when you check in a Marina, only 2 officials are allowed to board your boat.
Only 2 did, they did not search the boat, was more to seat down and fill up the paperworks. One of the official was amused by a stuff monkey I had.
The “Commandante” made his speech that he accepts donations, etc. I said thanks and didn’t give anything.
Several weeks later when I checked out, 3 (instead of the 2 allowed came) but no issue either.
I heard from many other sailors that did not check in a marina their horror stories… so I highly recommend checking in a Marina…
Work done by the local at first was good (cleaning the stainless), but as they did more work the prices increased and the quality decreased…
I remember the last job was an offer to clean the water line, I don’t remember the amount they ask, but it was insane and I said I would do it on other boats being paid for less.
Sincerely, Alexandre
Formerly SM2K #289 NIKIMAT

--------------------------------------------

On Fri, 4/12/19, Wolfgang Weber via Groups.Io <webercardio=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Dominican Republic
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Date: Friday, April 12, 2019, 10:54 AM

Hi to
the group,I stayed 3 weeks in the Puerto Bahia
Samana Bay. The marina has all you need for Immigration. No
inspection on board, very safe, clean and secured marina in
a resort,so I could leave the boat there for 2 weeks and fly
to US. Nice restaurant at the resort.Still another world to
the rest of DR.Www.puertobahiasamana.com . Thay
have fuel and water. The marina is not on my
C-map,But you will find it on the DR
www.freecruisingguides.com Luperon is a safe
bay, but immigration and all the officials are another stuff
- but also not a big problem.you will find moorings for 2$
and helpful people, food for 3 $.Have save
trip Wolfgang Weber SY Elise Amel 54 #162
Bahamas Georgetown heading north

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.