Re: Guests and engine controls!

ngtnewington Newington

Hi Miles,

Yes an alternator shop can replace the diodes. Interestingly last year I had a problem with the 175A 24v alternator on my boat. I thought it was diode trouble and others thought it was an excitation issue. Long and short of it, is that it was checked by Reece Neville agent engineer in the UK who said that it was in fact the voltage regulator and that given the age of the unit (12 years) it was not really cost effective to service. I had already bought a new one and was thinking to have it a spare. I did not bother in the end as I am pretty well backed up; solar, wind,  AC generator and two  AC battery chargers. Alternators are incredibly reliable.

Nick

Amelia Amel 54-019
La Palma

On 19 Apr 2019, at 15:03, smiles bernard via Groups.Io <smilesbernard@...> wrote:

Thanks Nick

My voltage across service and start batteries is 14+V when the motor is on so I therefore presume that means the 2 alternators are still working ok and I managed to avoid diode damage 🤞

Out of interest I presume a alternator shop can replace these diodes reasonably easily if there ever were damaged ?

It’s amazing how many things you take for granted around the working of the boat - that you only really discover when sailing with guests 😐

Thanks to all

Miles
On 19 Apr 2019, at 08:54, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

Hi Miles,

You should check the alternator is working. If the pulley is rotating and for whatever reason there is nowhere for the  current from the alternator to go then you will fry the diodes. If the alternator is fine then you should be fine.

Nick

Amelia Amel 54 -019
La Palma
On 19 Apr 2019, at 13:26, smiles bernard via Groups.Io <smilesbernard@...> wrote:

Hello

A guest on board switched my ignition off whilst motoring.
Trying to be helpful.

The engine kept running but I only noticed a few mins later when I spotted the instruments were off

My Perkins control panel has a electric ignition switch that turns on the instruments and starts the pressure alarm etc and I presume power onto the starter etc

Then a momentary push button to start

To stop it’s an electric button.

Does any one know if running with the ignition off for a short while could cause problems ? I’m naive about these electrics but always assumed the shutdown order super important!

The main engine power switch was on throughout.

Many thanks in advance

Miles Maramu 162