Re: Marco Pump stoppage

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Duane,

I went through the same process 2 years ago.  My chosen replacement pump is a Marco 12E.

It is more compact than the original and as it is a constant pressure pump, I did not bother with an accumulator tank.  There is a very short delay for the pump to start up but this is fully acceptable to us.

You may fit a smaller capacity/pressure Marco.  Some folks have fitted the 3 E model.

Best of luck.

Jean-Pierre Germain, SY Eleuthera, SM007, in New Zealand leaving soon for Fiji.

On 22 Apr 2019, at 04:55, Duane Siegfri via Groups.Io <carlylelk@...> wrote:

Follow up:

After checking for a blockage, lack of voltage, or lack of water, the manual says the only other thing to check is the motor brushes.

I took the back cover off and one motor brushholder and brush wire were badly corroded.  The wire fell apart as I touched it.  I replaced the wire with some copper stranded wire that I jammed into a hole I drilled in the carbon brush and then glued in place (not the best electrical connection, but the carbon block wouldn't accept solder).  I could not unsolder the wire from the circuit board (not enough heat) so I filed it flat and drilled it out hoping not to hit the conductor on the circuit board. Then I soldered the new wire to the circuit board.  When I reinstalled, it still didn't work, but gave a different error light.  We neglected to turn off the breaker and seeing it the next morning I turned it off, then thought “what the heck” and turned the breaker back on...it started running!  It must require going through a start-up several times before it resets.  I opened the bleed screw to permit the air to expell as it primed and eureka!  It is pumping water again!

This is probably a temporary repair, so we'll try to source a new pump in Puerto Rico.