Re: Marco Pump stoppage

Mark Erdos

Duane,

Glad you have water pumping again.

Keep in mind that PR is a part of the USPS and you can Express Mail or Priority Mail (2-3 days) to the island from most USA online chandleries at regular postal rates. Also, the West Marine on PR adds a surcharge to their already ridiculously high prices. Better to buy from the mainland and pay for shipping.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - San Blas Islands, Panama

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Duane Siegfri via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, April 21, 2019 12:56 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Marco Pump stoppage

Follow up:

After checking for a blockage, lack of voltage, or lack of water, the manual says the only other thing to check is the motor brushes. 

I took the back cover off and one motor brushholder and brush wire were badly corroded.  The wire fell apart as I touched it.  I replaced the wire with some copper stranded wire that I jammed into a hole I drilled in the carbon brush and then glued in place (not the best electrical connection, but the carbon block wouldn't accept solder).  I could not unsolder the wire from the circuit board (not enough heat) so I filed it flat and drilled it out hoping not to hit the conductor on the circuit board. Then I soldered the new wire to the circuit board.  When I reinstalled, it still didn't work, but gave a different error light.  We neglected to turn off the breaker and seeing it the next morning I turned it off, then thought “what the heck” and turned the breaker back on...it started running!  It must require going through a start-up several times before it resets.  I opened the bleed screw to permit the air to expell as it primed and eureka!  It is pumping water again!

This is probably a temporary repair, so we'll try to source a new pump in Puerto Rico.

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.