Re: SM Chain Counter Update

Mark Erdos

Remarkably, our chain counter and display still work after 20 years. Albeit it only counts upward even if the chain is coming in. Easy to work through: put out 30 meters of chain and then count to 60 meters when hoisting the anchor.

In anticipation of all this failing one day while we are in the middle of nowhere without parts, we marked the chain at 25’, 50’, 100’, 150’ 200’ and 250’

We use colored rope and colored wire ties. The ties actually work better as I can see them go over the windless from the helm. We are doing an experiment to see which last longer.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - San Blas Islands, Panama

www.creampuff.us