Re: SM Chain Counter Update

Thomas Peacock

Yes, we have also tried the chain tags. They are sometimes hard to see, and sometimes fall off. They sort of work, but I always felt they were suboptimal. The meters per second idea of Michael is a little easier, again, just in my opinion. But, since there is seemingly a counter on board, that seemed the best solution, if it would work. Plus, Captain Amel thought it was a good idea, so it must be!

Indeed, the counter measures meters whether you are dropping or weighing anchor. There is no plus or minus. There is a switch in the wiring above the sink. My sense is you write down your chain length after you are secure; then turn the switch off and then on, and when you weigh anchor, the two numbers should agree. If you have only dropped 30 or 40 meters, then your system works equally well.

I admit, too many brain-calories for a small problem.

On Apr 27, 2019, at 5:06 PM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Remarkably, our chain counter and display still work after 20 years. Albeit it only counts upward even if the chain is coming in. Easy to work through: put out 30 meters of chain and then count to 60 meters when hoisting the anchor.

In anticipation of all this failing one day while we are in the middle of nowhere without parts, we marked the chain at 25’, 50’, 100’, 150’ 200’ and 250’

We use colored rope and colored wire ties. The ties actually work better as I can see them go over the windless from the helm. We are doing an experiment to see which last longer.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper
Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275
Currently cruising - San Blas Islands, Panama