Re: Mizzen Mast Access

christian alby <calbyy@...>

Hi there Gary,
I sail an old timer 'Maramu' & 2 years ago did some maintenance on the power & signal cables running to the top of the mast, to find that whatever the strength of the leader lines they got tangled up Inside the PVC tube which keeps them from getting tangled with the halyards.
Reason found after days of running a camera isnide teh tube, Amel did run leader line with foam rings at regular interval to soften the noise of cable Inside the PVC Duct; After repeated replacement of cables & lines Inside the duct, the foam balls got tangled, twisted & built up a firm plug, which when pushed or pulled squashes firmly & builds up a very compact plug. Had to drill out bits & pieces on the mizzen, removing the rivets which held the PVC duct in place inside the mast. 
I do not know if this way of leading lines ws kept for the SM but Always Worth a look-see to make sure that this is not the case ?
Once drilled out, passed all lines without a Hitch & can now replace power & signal cables without a problem.
I have pictures of the culprits & the drilling therafter if interested
fair winds

christian alby - Désirade VIII - Maramu 116 - now in Canet

Le ‎samedi‎ ‎20‎ ‎avril‎ ‎2019‎ ‎19‎:‎21‎:‎27‎ ‎AST, Stephen Hancock via Groups.Io <sammie.whammie@...> a écrit :

It is probably better to use an electrical lubricant to pull the wires. Less corrosive and much more slick.

On Apr 20, 2019, at 6:55 PM, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Gary,
The wires in the Mizzen seem to get wrapped around each other.
Upon inspection a few years ago I noticed that all the pull lines were in bad shape so I replaced them with dyneema. It is really cheap on EBay.

I am sure you have already tried this , however in case you did not did you try dropping a length of chain down the mast  tied to a piece of thin dyneema?

If that doesn’t work , as a last resort, I would un-splice the radar scanner cable . Then I would use a strong messenger line attached to it for
re-installation. Then I would  remove the scanner cable. Just as a security backup also solder a piece of single strand 12 gauge wire to the end of the radar cable in case your pull rope breaks or disconnects. I would also cut a few wires off the splice to make the entry smaller.
With the radar cable removed I think you will have room to pull the new cables. I had to replace the scanner cable and it was a bit of a project getting it to turn around the separator at the base of the mast. I use dishwashing soap when puling cables. I first pulled it from the hole in the side of the mizzen and then dropped it down into the aft head.

If possible I would also consider trying to make the hole that separates the two parts of the mast at its base larger..

Good news is that the new radar scanner by Raymarine is wireless if you want to change out your  chartplotter.
Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gary Wells
Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2019 1:01 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen Mast Access

OK, I am at an impasse with my mizzen mast.  We haven't quite gotten to the arbitration stage yet, but we have a situation of a stubborn lack of cooperation. 

My trusty wind generator threw a blade a couple of months ago.  Since it is a gen 1 Air-X (you know the one .. you can hear it several islands away!) I decided to have mercy on all my anchorage-mates and upgrade the generator to a quieter, more happy-hour-inducing model.  The mount-up was simple enough; actually things fit together quite well with only a half-millimeter or so difference here and there requiring a bit of sanding and a Dremel.  Then, it all fell apart ..  from the top.

The old Air-X was a self-regulated provider of 24VDC from the top of the mizzen straight through to the battery switch (via the ammeter and shutoff/idle switch) and it required only two wires (plus an 'earth' to the mast).  .

The new generator is a three-phase AC machine with a remote controller/convertor/regulator and it requires a three-wire drop to the box. 

Now 2x10Ga wire managed (barely) to fit down the mast, but the 3x10 won't.  During the process of learning this, the technicians lost and then removed the original wire, then they tried pulling it by connecting it to a no-longer-in-use small coaxial cable, and that connection parted, and finally they used the remaining messenger line .. and broke it.

Normally, it should not be hard to drop a new messenger, but hey have tried for 2 days and used several methods to no avail. There simply must be something blocking a passageway somewhere that they can't fish their way through. 

I'm  hoping someone might have a secret-handshake trick up their sleeve before we go to the next step; which is either to drill an access hole in the front of the mast and use the large forward channel (I hope it goes all the way without obstruction) or else we may have to unstep her and get it done that way .. although even that isn't a sure bet, I guess. 

This is a genuine "oh, it should take about 4 hours" job that has turned into 3 days of frustration for us as well as the technicians. 

We are in Martinique, so I am presuming that when they say they are 'out of options' they truly are. I know they have consulted with other experts around here so I don't feel like I am working with un-knowledgeable technicians.  BUT ..  there is a vast amount of knowledge here so I am hoping to garner a couple of options/ideas.

We definitely don't want to drill a second access hole in the top (cap) plate on the mizzen ...  that could be a structural issue.  I personally don;' want to drill through to the front of the mast, even thought this is a pretty good option, because even if the wire does come all the way down, there may be no way to silence it from banging around inside the larger passageway. 

Anyway, any suggestions will be very welcomed and thoroughly discussed. 

Thanks!!

Gary W

SM209 "Adagio"

Le Marin, Marinique

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.