A Follow-up to my prior posting:
toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
The Onan genset in BeBe #387 developed a leak near a bend in the
stainless steel pipe in a location behind the motor (port side of the
engine) before the pipe runs under the engine. I used a 4' piece of
3/4" water hose which I had sliced down one side of the length. I
mixed some 2-part epoxy and placed a good amount of epoxy in the hose
and then clamped the hose over the pipe. I have ordered a replacement
pipe from Onan...part number 130-5448-01.
BTW, water appeared to be leaking from the stainless steel pipe under
the engine, but was in fact running down the pipe and dripping under
the engine. It was very difficult to locate the leak. I eventually
located the leak by drying everything, wrapping the pipe with a paper
towel, starting the genset and viola, there it was!
I assume Onan routed the stainless steel pipe the way they did because
their goal was to have all of the water and electrical connections
exit the generator at about the same place (most other gensets do this
as well). Another part of the same reasoning is that Onan offers an
optional enclosure for the genset...you would have to have exit holes
punched in the enclosure if you did not do it the way Onan has routed
s/v BeBe SM2 #387
--- In email@example.com, "svbebe" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:
We have #387 and had the same problem...it is the Raw Water stainless
feed pipe. The part
number is 130-5448-01. I patched mine for the time being and have
ordered the pipe.
s/v BeBe SM2 #387
Auckland, NZ for cyclone season
--- In firstname.lastname@example.org, "rapp.jeffrey"
I own "Antares" SM2K378. Recently, I have been occupied with a
maddening leak from somewhere in the cooling water supply to the
generator (an Onan 7KW). It appeared to be coming from under the
generator, alongside a stainless steel pipe that transits under the
generator, but I couldn't tell for sure, because I could not see under
the generator.I spent hours tightening hose clamps and looking for
phantom leaks. It appears that Amel had custom installed this pipe for
aesthetic purposes, in order to reduce the clutter of hoses in front
of the generator.
The sea water was routed in a hose from the water closet, along the
engine room bulkhead, down under the drip pan to the aft side of the
generator, then attaches to the custom stainless pipe, which transits
along the back of the generator (inside the cover, where it's hard to
get to), dips down under the generator, then appears in the front,
where it joins to the black rubber elbow that attaches to the water
My first inclination was to simply cut the original hose and attach it
to the rubber elbow direct with a hose joint, eliminating the pipe.
However, I must have some French in me, because I decided to fix it.
To do so, it was necessary to remove the engine mount bolts, lift the
generator a couple of inches, and remove the pipe, which was repaired,
then protected with a rubber hose to eliminate the chafe against the
drip pan which caused the original leak.
I was smart enough, however, to obtain a double barbed hose union,
which is difficult to find in Cartagena in the proper size. If this
happens again, the stainless pipe is gone.