Re: 100 amp charger on sm2k

Mark Erdos

Kent,

I have to agree with Bill. We have a wind generator, it came with the boat when we purchased it and then broke. We replaced it with a clone but probably should have saved the money for something else that hasn’t broken yet.

If the wind is blowing 20-25 knots consistently it is worth it. But how often does this happen? At this wind speed it will put out about 5 amps per hour and help during the night when solar panels are sleeping. It is just enough that I do not have to run the genset in the morning to top off the batteries until the solar kicks in (we are running all three ref/frz).

You can do the math for the number of days you spend per year cruising, the number of days you will have ample wind and compare to the cost and wear on the genset running we you need the extra omph. My guess is you will find it is not feasible.

Right now we have winds of 5-10 knots and it is the same for the rest of this week. We are on the hook and the wind generator is totally useless.

If I had to do things over, I would add more solar and increase the size of the battery bank

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - San Blas Islands, Panama

www.creampuff.us