From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Ondra via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2019 6:51 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Outhaul-furler motor shaft failure

We have now had the second Leroy Somer motor shaft shear off where in enters the gearbox. First the outhaul 2 years ago, and now the mainsail furler. Sheared at same location. Rust evidence of possible stress crack that eventually left maybe 10%-15% of the shaft in tact that then sheared off. Aletes is 20 years old. Has anyone else experienced this? Had a spare for the first failure, now sourcing a replacement for the second failure.

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM#240

Chesapeake Bay