Re: Volvo D3-110 belt changes

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Alex,

if your alternator belt is wearing it is highly likely you have belt slip. Check your tension. Other than an unlikely substandard belt it has to be slip.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 09 May 2019 at 18:28 Denis Elborn <delborn@...> wrote:

Alex,

It does seem a short time for the alternator belt, age is also a factor. At least you can see it and determine when to replace it unlike the timing belt.

Volvo sell two special tools, one needed and one nice to have. The needed one is a special puller to get the bottom pulley off of the crankshaft and the nice one is fitted to the bottom pulley to stop the engine rotating. Instead you can remove the starter motor and jamb something in there to stop the flywheel rotating, a bit crude but it will work.

IMO it is worth replacing the tensioner, idle pulley and water pump when doing the belt replacement. Volvo sell a kit excluding the water pump.

Denis
Aventura A54-113
Cleopatra marina -Greece

On 9 May 2019, at 12:28 am, Alex Ramseyer < alexramseyer@...> wrote:

The alternator belt on my Volvo D3 lasts ca 300h. In the French manual that I have onboard, it sais this belt should last 1200h. What's the experience in this group?

According to a certified Volvo technician from a Volvo dealer here in FLA, the TIMER BELT should last 1500h. I was about ready to change after 800h based on the advice from the former owner. What is the experience of this group in regards to the timing belt?

Also, if someone knows which exact special tool I need to change myself and where to get that, would be great!
Thank you for your advice.
Alex
SY NO STRESS
AMEL54#15