Re: Main Outhaul early SM 2K

karkauai

Thank you all who responded.  I’m thinking of fashioning a “pusher” tool that would have plates with holes in them.  The upper plate would fit over the line handler on top of the boom.  The lower plate would hold a large nut welded over the hole, under the gearbox.  The plates would be held in place, connected by 4 long bolts and separated from the new paint job by heavy hard-rubber sheeting.  A bolt would screw up through the nut and press the shaft out from below.
What is the downside to this cockamamie idea?

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On May 11, 2019, at 9:59 AM, Craig Briggs via Groups.Io <sangaris@...> wrote:

Kent, As always, many ways to skin a cat, and the heli coil is a great suggestion, although a new block could easily be made. Taking the boom to a machine shop with a press will certainly work and save the paint job if they carefully block it with wood and cloth before pressing. Your mounting configuration with the two aluminum tangs is identical to mine and, I'm sure, was original; perhaps Amel changed that design to a metal frame somewhere along the way (Alan's hull #437 is much later in the production run, I think), but yours will easily get you around the world next year, or at least to the South Pacific, and then, who cares?
Cheers, Craig SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL