Re: Main Outhaul early SM 2K

eric freedman

Hi Kent,

I grease the gearboxes 4 times a year and have not had a problem with water.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of karkauai via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, May 12, 2019 12:16 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Main Outhaul early SM 2K

Hi Eric, I read that in one of your earlier posts.  I’ll definitely do that.

Has anyone come up with a good way to keep water from getting into the gearbox from above?  I remember someone posting about a soda bottle cut off and placed above the gearbox with the shaft coming through the bottle was that you José?  How has that worked?  I’ve been greasing the upper shaft seal, but wonder if that’s really doing anything.

Thanks

Kent

SM 243

Kristy

Kent Robertson

S/V Kristy

USA cell: 828-234-6819

On May 11, 2019, at 9:57 PM, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Kent,

When you finally get the shaft. I would suggest you take a few thousands of an inch off the keyway, both in height and width.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Alan Leslie
Sent: Saturday, May 11, 2019 3:31 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Main Outhaul early SM 2K

Kent,
I have never seen an arrangement like that on the boom of a Super Maramu.
The original metal frame with 4 bolts through it to the gearbox is necessary to counter act the torque produced by the motor gearbox combination, especially when you are tightening the outhaul to flatten the foot of the main, plastic doesn't make it.
Sorry, but I would recommend that the boom be returned to the original configuration with the complete metal frame.
WRT to getting the shaft out ...that's a common problem, because of the salt water ingress through the top gearbox seal.
Maybe take the boom off and take it to an engineering shop that can press it out, and then clean off the shaft so it fits easily and coat it with Never Seize when reinstalling it.
BUT I really think you need to have that gearbox support rebuilt as per the original.
In any event your new paint will need redoing. 
Sorry
Alan
Elyse SM437 

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.