Re: Main Outhaul early SM 2K

Mike Ondra

Hi Kent,

Many ways to skin this cat. When this shaft seized in place on Aletes, we stacked cribbing under the gear box to the deck to spread out the load and used a hydraulic jack to push the shaft out. Having applied brut force on a previous disassembly and breaking the top cover of the gear box, this time I was careful to shim between the gear box and boom so that the force of the jacking didn’t break the cover. Now we pull and lube the shaft every 3 to 6 months.

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM#240

Rock Hall, MD

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of karkauai via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, May 12, 2019 3:58 PM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Main Outhaul early SM 2K

I’ll get my tool made and report on its efficacy, with pics if it works

;-)>.  Will definitely take all advice, trim the key and the shaft, use NeverSieze, and remove every 3 months for regreasing.

I’ll spray some PB Blaster around the top seal, but doubt much if any will make it past the seal.  Dry Ice and heat if the tool doesn’t work.

Jeez, somehow I make seemingly simple tasks into major productions.  At least this one seems to have given most everyone problems...

Kent

Kristy

SM243

On May 12, 2019, at 2:23 PM, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Gary,

When I had to drive out the shaft with a sledge hammer I found that as soon as the key cleared the keyway the shaft slid out easily. I believe the key is the only thing that needs to be adjusted. I remove the shaft 4 times a year and lubricate it with high temp. stainless Neva-Seez and have had no further problem in over 10 years.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gary Silver via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, May 12, 2019 12:00 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Main Outhaul early SM 2K

Hi Kent:

Sorry to hear of your difficulties removing the outhaul shaft.  Also interesting to see the different mounting methods used by Amel over the various SN boats  I don't have any specific answers to getting the shaft out unless it would be to use dry ice to cool the shaft and/or applying heat to the gearbox shaft.  Like so many things this is an all hands on deck situation so penetrating oil, heat, cold, vibration, and pressure may all be needed

Note that there is no seal between the outhaul shaft (male) and the gearbox shaft (female) into which the outhaul shaft inserts.  The only seal here is the lip seal that is press fit into the upper cover (and lower cover) of the gearbox and provides a seal to the gearbox (female) shaft.  I have found that removing the outhaul shaft once yearly and lubing it has always yielded easy removal, not sure why your's is stuck after so little calendar time.  I do rinse thoroughly the areas of the outhaul and furling gearboxes with fresh water after every sail and I do slather an unsightly amount of grease around the upper surface of the shaft/shaft interface but it sound like you do the same. Eric suggestion to remove a couple of thousandths from the keyway seams reasonable, perhaps an easier thing would be to remove a couple of thousandths of an inch from the shaft itself (larger bearing area and hence a larger "sticking" area). 

Wish you luck,

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 #335
Puerto Del Rey - Puerto Rico

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.