Re: Absence of boom-kickers on a 54

Barry Connor

Food for thought.
On our Amel 54 "Lady Penelope II" # 17 we have the rope boom attachment and on Ruedi's Amel 54 "Wasabi #55 he does not have the rope boom attachment.
We are sailing together at this time and I do see that my rope is tight in strong winds, keeps the boom from rising.
We are noticing and discussing the changes that took place between #17 and  #55

Best Regards

Barry

On Wednesday, May 15, 2019, 9:40:51 AM GMT+3, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Ian,

You are correct and the same boom rigging exists for the 54 sans the rope boom kicker.

I believe that Henri Amel placed a rope kicker on HIS boats because he knew that "sometimes, something goes wrong with even the most experienced crew."

It appears to me that it was likely planned for the 54, but someone at the last minute decided that it wasn't necessary on the 54. It was probably the same person who decided that the engine room hatch didn't really need to miss the cockpit table when opening the engine room hatch.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, May 14, 2019, 9:49 PM Ian <parkianj@...> wrote:
I’m guessing here but the SN and SM have a rope that ‘serves’ as a kicker. But with the full width main sheet track on the foredeck and then the preventer when fully downwind I haven’t had cause to need a kicker. I can get all the flattening I need on the mainsail from this combination.
Obviously I have no experience of the 54.

Ian

Ocean Hobo