Re: Bow locker floors/hawse pipe replacement project recap

Gary Silver

Hi Thomas:

Thanks for your excellent write up and pictures of your project. I am collecting the supplies to do my bow locker floors and hawse pipe replacement.  I noted that you wrote that you used a 4 inch PVC pipe for your hawse pipe.   I measure the OD (outside diameter) of the existing hawse pipe on my boat as 76.45 mm or 3 inches.  Can you comment on your findings and if you used an oversized pipe?  Someone on this forum suggested using FRP tubing from McMaster Carr but the largest size I can find there is an OD of 3 inches with and ID of 2.5 inches.  I am uncertain if and ID of 2.5 inches is large enough.  Do you have any thoughts on that?

Thanks for any input or suggestions you might provide.

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 # 335
Puerto Del Rey Marina, Fajardo Puerto Rico