Re: Bowthruster Water Ingress

Nick,

I think what Olivier is telling you is that there are 2 "Outside" Neoprene foam seals (one on top of the other) that seal the tube opening when the BT is up. The one you see inside the watertight BT compartment is the "Inside" Neoprene foam seal...it seals the tube opening when the BT is down.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 4:04 PM ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello Olivier,
Thank you for that information. I see the neoprene seal from the inside and have some spares on board. I guess they glue in place. I suppose it is normal for a small amount of water to leak through, if the boat is slamming to windward. In any case next time I haul out I will glue in new seals.
Nick
Amelia AML54-019
Cruising, all be it quite rapidly towards Corfu

On 17 May 2019, at 21:30, Beaute Olivier via Groups.Io <atlanticyachtsurvey@...> wrote:

Hello Nick,

there are two foam seals located around the BT drive tube, on top of the gear-box/props GRP casing, looking like the one you see inside, around the drive tube. When the BT is in the UP position, these seals are supposed to be compressed against the top of the hull box (where the BT is stored). If your seals are aged/damaged, they are not soft anymore and cannot play their part.
They also could be in good condition but the UP position of the BT is too low (because the stop switches -mechanic or magnetic- have moved). But as you mentioned you could put the safety pin in, I don't think the switches are wrong (stopping the lifting too early).

In order to replace the neopren foam seals, you need to have the vessel out of the water. You should wait until next scheduled haul-out for antifouling, as the amount of water is probably not much and is draining through a hose to the engine room bilge. A good check is to turn off the draining hose valve (under saloon floorboard) and see how much water you get in one hour, as the water will collect at the bottom of the front deck locker.

Have a nice sailing.

On Friday, May 17, 2019, 7:46:22 PM GMT+2, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

Hi Cortney,
Yes I put the pin in unless I am literally going round the corner.
I will be sailing tomorrow in quite light conditions. So assuming there is no spray I will open up the for-peak and take a look...
Nick
Amelia AML54-019