Re: Toilet flooding when sailing

Gary Wells

I know this isn't exactly on topic, but it has been my experience that the better technique is to still maintain the tank closed while underway, then flush it out and treat it daily.  It is just my preference, but I've found it advantageous to keep the tank closed and let it fill, at least partially, with treated black water.  I then empty it daily, or every other day, as needed. The movement of the boat keeps the slurry agitated and can prevent a 'plug' of solids from forming at the exit port due to all the liquids escaping.

I have a manual system and a macerator would certainly negate the worry of a blockage. So this just applies to my situation.

However, in troubleshooting your water ingress it would certainly be easy enough to tell if it were coming in from the water inlet side by shutting the inlet valve off for a day or two and letting the tank fill up somewhat.

Gary W.
SM 209, Adagio

Galesville, MD USA