Re: The two "sticks" on the genoa top swivel

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Thank you, Bill!

Just a couple more questions about this top swivel regarding halyard and sail attachment... Is there a preferred method other than the big D shackle, which doesn't seem like a good fit, for attaching the halyard? And for the genoa, we have it tacked straight to the smaller D shackle at the bottom and some Spectra lashing it to the bottom of the top swivel. Are there better arrangements? Dyneema soft shackles for the top swivel attachments perhaps? Any issues with the genoa tack attaching straight to the bottom shackle? (there was a Spectra lashing here too originally).

Couple of photos are attached. As you can see, the sticks are installed with some colorful garden hose for protection, which was what we had available. Ends are capped off as well.

Regards,
Mike & Hannah

On Wed, 22 May 2019, 12:44 CW Bill Rouse, <brouse@...> wrote:
Mike,

Here is a photo of what Danny describes:
image.png
Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 11:34 AM SV Trilogy <svtrilogy53@...> wrote:
Thank you, Danny! We will definitely take a close look at the swivel regarding the tongue and nylon pencil. We very much appreciate the specialty Amel knowledge here!

Cheers,
Mike & Hannah
SV Trilogy, SM#23
Panama

On Sun, May 19, 2019 at 2:31 PM Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi Mike,

a while back I posted a photo of a tongue that goes through the inner of the swivel and into the slot in the foil. This locates the center and prevents the scratching you mention. This tongue often wears through. A number of SM owners have found this. There is one important feature, which if missing allows this wear to occur. This is a nylon "pencil" that sits in the foil with a mating slot in it for this tongue. I believe this "pencil" is often lost when non Amel riggers are doing work. The tongue is secured by two grub screws easily accessed. I suggest you check for the tongue and the nylon pencil. I am picking you will find both missing.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 20 May 2019 at 03:14 SV Trilogy <svtrilogy53@...> wrote:

Thanks everyone for the informative responses on this topic. We're having a new set of horns fabricated and plan to cover them with some hose material. Anything one can do to reduce halyard wraps, cuts, jams, etc. is certainly worthwhile.

On a side note, while up at the masthead I noticed the foil/extrusion was heavily scratched around it's circumference for several inches right where the top swivel would sit. Perhaps there's an issue with our top swivel and it should be taken apart and serviced? Although while at deck level it spins easily and sounds very smooth. Or maybe the threads on the one horn we had up there were too long and made contact with the foil while furling? Just wondering if anyone has ever seen anything similar on their boat. Sorry no photo at the moment but I'll try and get one.

Cheers,
Mike & Hannah
SV Trilogy, SM#23
Panama

On Mon, 13 May 2019, 08:05 Gary Wells, < gary@...> wrote:
A short piece of fuel line and some contact cement make good "caps" for those 'horns'.
Having experienced a halyard wrap up there once, I wouldn't consider running without them.
If you are doing regular maintenance on the swivel then it's far less likely the horns would touch the mast, but if the swivel jams even slightly the horns are the best defense against getting the halyard wrapped and broken at the masthead.
Can't really explain how I discovered this.  :)

Gary W.
SM 209, "Adagio"
Beaufort, NC USA

--