Re: New sails

I have recommended 3 types of sails from QSails and all of my recommendations utilize sailcloth from the German Company,  Dimension-Polyant. Dimension-Polyant is known as the best in the world. I do not recommend Laminate sailcloth because most Amels do not have boom vangs to adjust the height of the boom when furling, and, as you know, the furling mainsail on a SM will furl in almost any condition as long as the owner has NOT added battens. For many reasons, I never recommend battens, especially on a SM.

I believe it is important to know the advantages and disadvantages of different types of sailcloth and sail construction. You also need to consider the furling capabilities of your Amel.
This is what I recommend for a SN, SM, or 54: (NOTE: The 55 has an adjustable boom vang and can carry a wider variety, but I recommend Hydranet for a 55)

BEST - HydraNet TriRadial Cut is a TriRadial Cut HydraNet from the German company Dimension-Polyant. I consider Dimension-Polyant the best sailcloth manufacturer in the world, and HydraNet is the best sailcloth.
BETTER - TriRadial Cut Pro Radial Dimension/Polyant Dacron is for those owners wanting a very high-quality Dacron Polyester fiber sailcloth from the German company Dimension-Polyant. I recommend that it is cut and assembled in a TriRadial configuration. This is a slightly higher quality sail with the same TriRadial construction that your Super Maramu had when new.
GOOD - CrossCut AP Dacron is for budget-minded Super Maramu owners who would like a dacron polyester cross-cut sail similar to what Doyle Sails provides. If you plan to own your SM for longer than 5 years, I do NOT recommend this.

Regardless of the choice above, I also recommend:
  1. Laser cutting on HydraNet sails (the laser burns and seals the edges of the cloth enabling single line stitching).
  2. Foam Luff on Genoa
  3. Spectra webbing reinforcement for furling at Head, Tack, & Clew.

  4. Sewn Leather Reinforcement of the Clew Ring of welded stainless steel
  5. Kevlar Leech and Foot lines
  6. Premium Tenara® thread
  7. Sunbrella Ultra UV panels
I hope this helps you make a better decision of your sail purchases.

As a note, QSails has performed very well with a total of 29 of my clients. A few clients have experienced delivery issues, which in the end, QSails has assumed responsibility for, even though the responsibility clearly was that of the Air Freight Carrier. I admire Emrah Oge for stepping into these freight situations. I think that many other suppliers would leave that up to you.
Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 10:13 AM Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:
Bill
We have "Cruising Laminate" which is Dacron with if I understand it correctly has woven in threads of Dyneema to improve strength and stretch. I had that on my previous boat and was very pleased with it, but of course even extensive holiday sailing is nothing close to live aboard cruising, where wear and tear is so much higher. From my experience now I would hesitate to use "cruising Laminate" again.
North sails claim that their 3D sails has superior durability, they might be right but we talking numbers of 23 000 € for a full set of sails. Incidence offer Hydranet sails for just over 11 000 € both ex VAT. so North sails must last much longer to justify the extra cost, assume shape last better on such high tech sail.
Sail is one of the most important part to be pleased with, one use them very frequently, they provide both comfort and safety if they are in proper shape and condition. i.e. quality is VERY important. I have sailed a few charter type boats with almost new charter sail, sails that were not even good when new and the fun of sailing is suddenly much less.
Further crossing oceans and difficult areas where weather quickly deteriorate sail must be forgiving i.e easy to furl at a sudden squall with wind reaching 40 45 knots one have not very much time to adjust the boom for for wrinkle free furling, and I do not know what to adjust to get wrinkle free furling on a head sail. you may claim sails should be furled before the squall hits you, and you might be right, but there are numerous occasions when weather are bad and further deteriorate and quick further reffing is necessary, Big waves strong current and wind and the going can be very tough I do not want any extra hassle to reffed down. And that is one of the many beauties with our Amel, it is a very safe and easy boat to handle, but it require good quality sails that furls well.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259