"heavier lower stays than the original"

John,

I am very curious about this statement: "...and followed the advice on having heavier lower stays than the original."

I was about to post something about this. Can you tell me where or how you heard this advice?

Unfortunately, there is nothing in the manual about running backstays, and some 54s have running backstays that are too short to use. Oliver Henrichsen, offers good advice if your running back stays are not rigged with leveraged block/tackle with a cam cleat similar to what you use for preventers. I have seen 54s with this type of block/tackle rigged to each running back stay. BTW, I like to attach the running back stay on the chain plate near the genoa block. Oliver did not go into detail, but I suspect that he attaches a block for the running back stay on the cain plate, then runs it to the small winch on the cockpit coaming.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 12:08 PM John via Groups.Io <thejluto=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have owned an Amel 54 for only a few months.   As most 54s, the boat is rigged with genoa and staysail, and yes I have the reinforced mast with a little prebend, and followed the advice on having heavier lower stays than the original. And I have the dyneema lines ready to be used as running backstays ... but no tackle (yet) at the back end of the running backstays.

(My previous boat had a genoa and self-tacking staysail, but had lower forward stays and adjustable hydraulic tension on the aft stays to adjust the mainsail shape, and no running backstays.)

So, I looked through the Amel owner manual and user guide. I found no pictures or advice on using the running backstays.  So I would appreciate a little advice on 3 items

1) Do you have any pictures of your running backstays in action, showing how you rigged the tackle and maybe the size of the tackle..

2) When running downwind, do use them if you have staysail and Genoa (or gennaker) set and are running hard?

3) When going upwind do you use them only when using staysail in a heavy blow ??

Any help would be appreciated ... especially a picture or two.

John,
Justina (Austin TX)  A54 #34, in France