Re: Any SM owners use a Beta engine??

James Alton

Davi,

  Really sorry to hear about your engine woes and the disruption to your Med. cruising.  Has your mechanic verified that the compression is up to spec. on all cylinders after the rebuild?   I have a customer who installed a Beta 50 8 years ago and loves the engine, no issues.  The Beta is based on the Kubota block.  We had a Kubota tractor that was high time which gave excellent service, never opened the engine.

Best of luck,
James

SV Sueno,  Maramu #220

On May 26, 2019, at 2:35 AM, Davi Rozgonyi <davi.rozgonyi@...> wrote:

Ciao y'all.... Davi here on SM#56, Wake. So I've been trying to have my Perkins Prima M80T rebuilt for some months now with disappointing results. Constant gray/white smoke and spitting oil or diesel on the water, eating a liter of oil every 50 hours or so. Even after twice having engine removed, pistons checked, head checked, FI pump rebuilt, injectors tested, new turbo installed.... stumped. Two different mechanics. The first I can now say botched the job, but the second is pretty brilliant and he is at the point where he wants to pull the whole thing to recheck the other work done starting at the pistons again.

But I am getting fed up. I cannot afford any more high-season-in-the-Med marina layup for weeks. I will be able to limp through the summer here in Italy/Greece with it as is before wintering back here in Palermo, where there is a Beta dealer. I've looked at these engines before, and know they are strong, simple, naturally aspirated, cheaper parts, etc. Price is pretty good too.

So I'm asking if any of you have Betas or can tell me some things about them I might be missing vis a vis a SM repower. They make a 75 horse model, looks pretty sweet, I've only heard good things about them. Any real life insight from ye salty souls???