Re: Any SM owners use a Beta engine??

Bill Fletcher

I bought a Beta marine 60 six years ago and it has been the best purchase I have made for the boat. It has been totally reliable and easy to work on. Two options I had were I had the remote oil filter installed. The oil filer would be very difficult to change and messy without it. I sent my existing high amperage alternator to  the factory to be installed They modified my alternator to a serpentine  belt and did a great job. This saved hours of work for the installers and it wasn’t very expensive.  Of course you would do the 75 horsepower as you are a SM  I am only a MARAMU but am very happy with it. I have traced from the states to New Zealand and so far every time I turn the key it just goes.
Bill Fletcher
MARAMU 179

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 5:35 PM Davi Rozgonyi <davi.rozgonyi@...> wrote:
Ciao y'all.... Davi here on SM#56, Wake. So I've been trying to have my Perkins Prima M80T rebuilt for some months now with disappointing results. Constant gray/white smoke and spitting oil or diesel on the water, eating a liter of oil every 50 hours or so. Even after twice having engine removed, pistons checked, head checked, FI pump rebuilt, injectors tested, new turbo installed.... stumped. Two different mechanics. The first I can now say botched the job, but the second is pretty brilliant and he is at the point where he wants to pull the whole thing to recheck the other work done starting at the pistons again.

But I am getting fed up. I cannot afford any more high-season-in-the-Med marina layup for weeks. I will be able to limp through the summer here in Italy/Greece with it as is before wintering back here in Palermo, where there is a Beta dealer. I've looked at these engines before, and know they are strong, simple, naturally aspirated, cheaper parts, etc. Price is pretty good too.

So I'm asking if any of you have Betas or can tell me some things about them I might be missing vis a vis a SM repower. They make a 75 horse model, looks pretty sweet, I've only heard good things about them. Any real life insight from ye salty souls???