Re: Water tank overfill, companionway ladder, galley sink drain hose

karkauai

Thank you James and Bill.  I’ll let you know how it goes.

 If it’s necessary to remove companionway ladder, does anyone know how to do that?

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On May 27, 2019, at 2:23 PM, James Cromie via Groups.Io <jamescromie@...> wrote:

Kent -
I don’t know about your first qusetion…

Re. rotted companion way door support:  Mine was also rotten, and I didn’t know where it was until I took the companion way sliding door out of its track entirely.  I then fished out the rotten wood from the bottom of the companionway box with long graspers.  If you have a friend who does laparoscopic surgery, you can get a disposable pair of long laparoscopic graspers.  I find such an instrument incredibly useful on a regular basis for fishing parts out of deep crevices.  In this case, no need to take apart the steps.   I’m sure you could find some cheap graspers on ebay.
I flushed out the box to ensure that there was no residual debris to prevent it from draining to the gray water sump.

I fashioned a new support board out of marine plywood, which must be installed with the door installed back in the tracks (but clamped in an elevated position).

Re. kinked reinforced hose:  I agree that the hose will be permanently kinked, and best to simply replace it if it is old in any case.    I ended up replacing the hoses under my galley sink - mostly because I noticed an odor emanating from that vicinity.  I’m glad I took it all apart, because it had probably not been cleaned out since it was installed 17 years ago.  Eliminating the foul black buildup in the galley plumbing resolved the smell issue.

While I was at it, it was a perfect opportunity to install a removable faucet head at the galley sink.  Much easier to wash big pots now.

-James
Soteria
SM2K 347

On May 27, 2019, at 1:49 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

My experience is that once that reinforced hose is bent, it is bent.

I am watching here for some other reply.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 11:21 AM karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I like the idea of an alarm on the float gauge!

I noticed that the last time I collected desalinated water in the bilge, I had stopped making water when it was reading 900 L on the gauge.  No water showed up until we were heeled over in a 6 ft sea.

When I clean the tanks again, I will watch the level as the gauge gets closer to full.  If it is inaccurate, how would you recalibrate it?  Can it be accessed without tearing the cabinetry and/or tank apart?

Also, the support for the companionway door has rotted and fallen down below the ladder.  Has anyone disassembled or removed the ladder?  Any advice?

Finally, there is quite a kink in the drain hose from the galley sink.  It hasn’t caused a problem, but I want to get it repositioned without the kink..  any advice here?  Is that the original hose?

Thanks,

Kent & Iris
S/V Kristy
karkauai@...