Re: supplemental downwind sailing configuration for Super Maramu

Gerald Bassin

Hi Paul
I have a code D from Delta voiles on a removable bow sprit.and a set of blocks on above the genoa halyard block. Took us a lot of trial and error to get it working, but now it’s okay. The code D is 130m2. If you look at Jetlag on Marine traffic.com there is a pic of our sail. At 15 kts true wind we bring it down as the genoa is ok by then
Rgrds
Gerald
Jetlag #113

On 28 May 2019, at 22:40, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

I have thought of buying a Code Zero or general purpose genacker on a furler, Not to substitute the Baloner concept, which I think is superior down wind system for a smal crew, we run the twin head sail i.e. balooner for about a week on our Atlantic crossing east to west. We were lucky only a few squalls, but easy for one person to furl the twin head sail and unfurl when the squall is gone.  We think it is possible to run the twin head sail about +/-25 degree of dead down wind. But when light apparent wind from 90 to 145 degree I think a Code Zero on a furler would be an option, I would prefer to have it on a bow sprit to get it forward of the pulpit and a bit larger, but it will be a solution making big holes in my pocket. During This season, it is only on our voyage between Bahamas and Bermuda we missed such sail, but as we plan to go to the Pacific I think we might have more us of it there.
Paul on SY Kerpa AM#259 Bermuda