Re: supplemental downwind sailing configuration for Super Maramu

Gerald Bassin

Hi Paul

Here a few pics.
The bow sprit is a standard Selden product.

The "horse shoe" front attachement was custom made in Antigua after the Selden bolts of the original attachement broke during the Atlantic crossing (of course withe the sail up! but I confirm, the pullpit is solid and averted more damage).The Selden design does not allow for a lot of side forces I think.

The tail end box was also custom made in France to get the proper angle. It's basically a stainlesssteel box.

We have a port and a starbord halyard in order to clear the genoa top swivel. Huge chaffing problems before we arrived at that solution.

It is still possible to open the stbd lazarette and if we disconnect the aft end of the bow sprit, the acces to the cleat is granted.

The whole thing slides back out quite easily ro reduce LOA!!

The code D is attached to an anti torsion forestay so when it's rolled you have a kind of Anaconda which you can store in a 5-6ft sail bag.

Unfortunately during our last 4 season in the Caribbean (Dec-May), the wind was often to strong or from the wrong direction to use it...

Here also a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7nPSdkYP98

Feel free to ask more questions !

Rgrds

Gerald

On 29/05/2019 14:04, Paul Osterberg wrote:
Gerald looks great
Do you have any pictures on the bow sprit? Who made it? We also want a
detachable, else one has to pay for it each time hauling out.
When the code D is furled how much space does it take? is it easy to
find storage for it?
assume you diesel consumption reduced since you got it?
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259
Links:
------
[1] https://AmelYachtOwners.groups.io/g/main/message/45978